Thursday, June 12, 2008

Shampooless: Baking Soda Hair Cleansing Mud + Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse





















I had been reading about going "no poo" for a while on a Traditional Foods forum...About a month ago, I decided to to take the plunge! I was a little skeptical, but now 4 weeks later - I'm a believer! So the alternative I'm using consists of Baking Soda, a couple drops of Essential Oils, and the very important Apple Cider Vinegar for the rinse.I had been told to expect that hair may be a little more oily at first, while it's adjusting to the change. I found the first couple of times a little discouraging and overrated, but I thought I would press through. With in a week and a half, my hair was lovelier than most shampoos and conditioners have ever left it.

So how do you wash your hair with baking soda?

Baking Soda Hair Cleansing Mud
Mix 1 Heaping Tbsp. of Baking Soda,
3-5 drops of essential oils of your choice
(lavender, patchouli, rosemary, sweet orange are some of mine:not necessarily all together),
Water to make a paste.  
Mix this in the shower.

I keep a container of baking soda and one of apple cider vinegar in the shower. After making the cleansing mud, I scrub my entire scalp, starting at the hairline and then filling in the circle...sometimes I need to make a little more. Rinse that all out...:: fragrant ::.

Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

Pour 1-2 Tbsp (really just a splash or 2) of apple cider vinegar in to an approx. 2 C. size container and then dilute, with shower water to fill cup.

Try to not get this into your eyes, because that doesn't feel too great. Gently pour it over your locks, and run your vinegar liquid coated fingers over your scalp aswell...rinse and Voila! Yes, it is slightly more time consuming....but it seems to me that all things that are more natural and holistic take a little more effort!



Hey! Did you enjoy this? Like our Facebook page and continue the conversation. Thank-You for stopping by!

Eeek! Look at these bonus Gifts this July 2015!



10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's great. My friend and former housemate L never washed her hair. She had super short, bleached out hair and it always had great body and texture... the kind of thing most people buy "bed-head" paste to replicate. I'm tempted to try this over the summer. Why not? My hair couldn't possibly look much worse!
    Thanks for the info and experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a non traditional shampoo that Terressentials sells. I like it a lot but then I gasp colored my hair and could not use it anymore. Can this be don on colored hair?

    Nice blog! My first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Pecos Blue! I have no idea if it could be done w/ coloured hair...i have some henna in my mine, and plan to put more henna in it...? One thing that I should mention to those interested, is that some days when I'm trying to hurry - cause there is a little one whimpering at the edge of the bathtub: those days i find that I may have a few oily strands (Not crazy oily-yukky) - Just didn't equally scrub the bakingsoda mix throughout/or the vinegar...and on the days, where i'm able to equally distribute it, it is compareble to freshly shampooed and conditioned. Someone asked me recently what i use for conditioner - nothing - i think the vinegar seems to do fine, as well as your body's/hair's natural oil. Vinegar makes my cloth diapers lovely and soft, why shouldn't it make my hair....sometimes there are some fly-a-ways...but i have heard on the TF forum (Traditional foods) that a little honey and water makes a nice hair product for frizz control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the great post on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey pj,
    what about submitting something about your hair project to GEEZ for their "experiments" section. i think it would be great. it's gotta be really short. while personal experiments like this are in some ways the simplest form of "social change" (since you don't have to mobilize a crowd), in another way they are the most difficult because they challenge the ego and the humungous cosmetic/fashion industry that tries everything it can to force women and girls, in particular, into their box. just a thought, anyways.
    bye for now and hope to get together soon.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't feel eloquent enough for GEEZ - but i'd give it a shot Tammy - thanks!
    and my scalp - so far, Tami jo, is fine, i think healthier than it has been for a long time, sometimes i'll get an itch, but i would not say that my scalp is itchy...Some sort of good quality oil massaged into my scalp once a week or so, would probably not be a bad thing to add to the regime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. also i forgot to mention on the scalp topic that my scalp has never been so 'gunk-free'? (i think thats the word)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i do this too...sans the EO because I seem to be highly allergic to a lot of things. I use the baking soda paste as my soap for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ... as a conditioner and a great help for your scalp... aloe vera mixed with a bit of a any high quality body lotion (or pure oil if you wish, of any kind -jojoba, olive, ..any, really- )

    I put some aloe vera in my hand, and drop a bit of my lavender body lotion ( or some drops of any virgin or pure oil sometimes)
    i mix it with my hands...
    and put some on my scalp.. and the rest on my hair length
    IT WORKS WONDERS

    and I swear I have tried all kind of products before, all kinds of conditioners, all kinds of anti-frizz styling stuff.
    !!!nothing else works so well like aloe vera mixed with a bit of some natural moisturizing stuff!!
    it moisturizes, nourishes, and works as a styler at the same time!

    ReplyDelete