Thursday, October 15, 2009

Happy ThanksGoodies!


We've just finished celebrating (Canadian) Thanksgiving.  When we were children, we use to call it Thanksgoodies.

The season is well upon us and snow is coming and going, much to some people's displeasure.  I like the change in season - nope, I'm not fond of
 driving in the winter storms, which are so common here in the prairies.  It has been very rare that our city is shut down after a MAJOR snow dump....It is a little sad, really - I'm so drawn to the Slow Movement!  Where we would also respond to the seasons positively, joyfully and thankfully...sadly most of us have to race around and then the weather becomes an inconvenience.

We spent our holiday weekend visiting and celebrating with family. 


Even though the holiday Monday was a brisk day, it was still so nice to get out for a country lane walk!

The woods were filled with the fragrance of autumn's wild cranberry - the scent my Husband so eloquently coined, "tree fart".  I don't think it smells that bad, I happen to like the dying cranberry smell very much...

...Selah not so much, as I let her smell some crushed cranberry on my hand.

Just a couple of hours later...snow arrives.

Now I'm rushing these days to finish winter somethings for all the "littles".  The items that are on my mind are:
:: 2 hats for the 2 older ones
:: 2 pairs of slippers for the older ones as well - I'm thinking leather soles and up-cycled wool felted sweater, for the rest of the slipper.
:: An up-cycled wool blanket into a sleeping sack for baby, the answer for warmth in her hammock


Hat for baby is complete, crocheted mercerized cotton, inspired by Waldorf Mama's pilot caps....

Speaking of handmade, Garden Mama has a FANTASTIC give away - Hurry! It ends this evening!  Lovely, gorgeous felted beauties for natural play!
Garden Mama says:
"One lucky person will be the winner of everything in this post--five of her gorgeous hand knit woodland animals, in addition to a gorgeous autumnal garland with hand knit acorns, felted leaves, and pumpkins."

Take a peak at these inspiring play things - don't you just want to fill your house with these, as you purge the plastic - crap stuff carefully sorted for the recycling bin rather than garbage! I take such joy in watching the little's play with natural toys, because it also brings beauty to my home. 

Thank-you Garden Mama!

6 comments:

  1. That hat is gorgeous! I love it.

    I love blizzards and major snow storms here. They force us to slow down, to do noting but relax, and enjoy some alone time.

    So glad that you had a great Thankgoodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful post full of great imagery and lovely pictures - aak! Elousia is looking soooo cute in her new hat! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciated the first part of your post as today we had our first snow. Everywhere I went, people were complaining about it. While it does seem a little early for snow here, it was so beautiful. So sad that some people couldn't see that.

    That hat is too cute...as is the babe wearing it;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful photos, it looks like a lovely day : )
    Your wee babe is so incredible cute!
    I love, love the knitted goodness : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely hat! I really like the colors and the design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your baby hat -- such lovely colors! I also like your idea for the slippers of upcycled felt. I've been thinking about the very same thing. I've got an old striped sweater that I'm itching to use...And snow! Lucky you! I feel just the same way -- I love the excuse to slow down. I can't wait. :)

    ReplyDelete